Home semi final up for grabs

The Guyra United Soccer Club held a minutes silence and wore black armbands in memory of Darryl Dowden
21st Aug 2019

The Caspers were at home on the weekend to a very dangerous TAS side with the Caspers knowing a win would wrap up the minor premiership. The start has been a problem for the boys and this weekend was no different with the Caspers finding it hard to string passes together. It wasn’t long before TAS were a goal up after the TAS striker snuck his way through the defence to be one on one with the keeper, leaving Des no chance of saving to give the TAS side a 1-0 lead.
The score almost doubled five minutes later when the defence was opened up again but luckily Des was at his best to keep the Caspers in touch. This seemed to kick start the boys and for the final 20 minutes of the half I believe they played the best they had all year, totally dominating the TAS side and an equalizer came through some great build-up for B.J Kliendienst to calmly put away a brilliant piece of play taking the half time score 1-1.
The boys were frustrated with themselves for their efforts early, but knew if they came out playing the way they finished the first half they could come away with the points. This wasn’t to be, with the boys once again struggling to string passes together. Frustration was setting in and the deadlock was broken when a ball came free in the box for a TAS player to put the goal away and the Caspers were once again chasing a result.
The boys tried hard, maybe too hard sometimes, to level the game but it finally came with seven minutes left when Corby found a small space to lock up the score at 2-2 and make an exciting finish for the game. They pushed hard but could not find the winner and 2-2 was the final score.
Points have gone behind closed doors for the final two games. The Caspers will have to look at the start of their games after conceding the first goal in their past three matches and they will be tested big time this weekend when they travel to Inverell with plenty on the line.
The winner of this match will host the major semi-final the following weekend so the boys need to prepare well and iron out the kinks which I’m sure they can do.
On a sadder note the Caspers would like to send their deepest sympathy to the Dowden family after the passing of Darryl on Friday. The boys wore armbands in respect for the family and grandson Harrison showed great character to actually play and his involvement was inspirational, I’m sure Darryl would have been proud. Caspers hearts go out to the Dowden family at this time.
Second grade
It was a must-win game for Guyra seconds on the weekend to keep their finals hopes alive. The game started fast but Guyra kept pace with TAS as both teams kept the pressure on each other. A couple of good saves from Matt Simpson and awesome defensive efforts from the backline kept the game at nil-all at the end of the first half.
Guyra came out hard and put the pressure right back on TAS with the halves linking well with forwards. This allowed Rheece Handebo to put a brilliant ball through to Scott Miller to open the scoring up for Guyra. With a finals spot on the line they kept the pressure on and another breakthrough come off the foot of Blake Handebo after a brilliant play from Scotty and Rheece.
Guyra with a 2-0 lead dug in and the backs and halves showed real grit and determination to finish the game keeping TAS scoreless. Points this week couldn’t be given with no one player standing out as all the team lifted and played their best game all year. Guyra goes to Inverell in a must-win in the last game of the season to secure fourth spot and make the finals.